A hearty dish that’s light on your waistline
|Prep Time||15 – 25 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 – 25 minutes|
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 egg whites (about 1/3 cup), beaten
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 Campari tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips. Combine wheat flour, oregano, and basil. Dredge eggplant in egg whites, then the flour-spices mixture. Bake eggplant strips on a large oiled tray for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat olive oil in a saucepan on medium low, add garlic and onion, and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and tomatoes. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce oven to 350°F. Coat the bottom of a baking dish or cast-iron skillet with sauce. Arrange eggplant strips, cheese, and sauce in layers, finishing with cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
|Serving Size (Amount Per Serving)||Measurement|
|Saturated Fat||1.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|